Today the BC Government had its Throne Speech, which provides hints to initiatives and investments we can expect in the upcoming budget being released on April 20. Here are a list of highlights and things we should expect more details about next week.
- There was reference to hiring thousands of new workers for long-term care and making improvements to long-term care
- Investments in the Pathway to Hope plan to improve mental health and addiction care
- The end of criminalization of simple drug possession
Services and affordability
- A 20% cut to ICBC insurance rates this year
- Increased number of $10-a-day childcare spaces and the hiring and retaining of more early childhood educators
- Investments to reduce homelessness
- Investments for infrastructure projects like the George Massey Tunnel, Surrey-Langley Skytrain expansion, and Highway 1 expansion into the interior
- Investments in training and increased use of the Community Benefits Agreement to increase opportunities in the trades
- Investments in cell coverage along BC highways and increasing digital connectivity in rural communities
- Reforming the Police Act and developing BC’s first anti-racism law
We will be reviewing the Budget on April 20 to keep you all informed of the investments that impact students and young people in the province. If you are interested in reading the whole Throne Speech click here.
Do you like this page?